Kent and Kaye Dyer purchased over 90 acres of family land a few years back, then spent the next few years wondering what to do with it. They built a venue for weddings, but it wasn’t until she saw families enjoying time together at a pumpkin patch that Kaye found her true vision for their land: a pumpkin patch where children around the area, including their own grandchildren, could come to both play and learn! [Originally published Oct 3, 2018, updated 2020]
Here’s what you need to know:
Rocky Hollow Pumpkin Patch at Angel Farm (Cave Spring)
Tuesday-Thursday $12 + tax
Children 3 and under FREE
Active Military $2 off
Location: 336 Rocky Hollow Rd,Cave Spring, Georgia
Before you go:
- Hours: Check the Rocky Hollow Pumpkin Patch Facebook page to check for modified hours and weather-related closures.
- Food: If going on a weekday, pack a lunch or dinner to eat at one of the new picnic tables (some covered). Concessions are open on the weekends and include hot dogs, Bar B Que, pork rinds, boiled peanuts, kettle corn, chips, and sweet tea.
Concession stand and picnic area
Picnic area in the “Learning Barn”
- Shoes: If you’re planning to actually pick a pumpkin from the patch (there are several to choose from up front that are already ready to go), wear close-toed shoes. Otherwise, have your child wear shoes that are easy to slip on and off for the various activities…but bring socks! The farm is spacious, so adults would benefit from wearing good walking shoes as well.
- Restrooms: There is a restroom in the covered pavilion called the “Learning Barn” which also has picnic tables
- Strollers: The land is somewhat sloped and a little rocky (hence the name Rocky Hollow). Strollers with larger rubber wheels (think jogging stroller) would work. Wagons are available for use throughout the land at no charge.
- Bring: Though temps should be cooling off, it may still be a good idea to bring water.
Tips for the Farm:
- For Sale: After walking through a scenic covered bridge, you may want start at the “General Store,” complete with trendy wooden signs, decorative Indian corn, mums in a variety of colors, and old-fashioned candy for sale.
- Pumpkins: Unlike some, this pumpkin patch actually has a pick-able pumpkins in a variety of sizes and colors (white, tiny, and “camo” green)! If you plan to look on the vine, ask upon entering where to find the variety for which you are looking. Pumpkin prices are very affordable. Many good carving pumpkins were in the $5 range.
- Photo Ops: There are several spots for great Fall pictures around the farm. Dress the kids accordingly and bring your DSLR if you’re that type.
- Activities: Your price of admission includes all activities. (It does not include concessions or pumpkins.) Ages 3-8 would likely have the most fun, though there are activities for all ages.
Take a look of what Rocky Hollow has to offer:
Kids hay “maze” areaBouncy toysLassoBig Jenga and football toss for bigger kidsTractor-pulled hayride
Larger corn pits (updated since picture) with a roof
(so everyone is in shade)…these were a hit!
The extreme slide is finished and super fun!
To the other side of the wedding venue…Pedal carsMy personal favorite: a bouncy pillow
(This can get warm, so bring socks! Weight limit ~250 pounds)Animal barn with this adorable goat, lots of chickens, ducks, goats, a lamb, a potbelly pig (named Peaches), and two mini houses: Rusty & Midnight!
There is also a corn maze, photo op spots, and bubbles (on the weekends).
The newest 2020 addition is a zip line that will be available soon!
The land was open and spacious, but the crowds were few, making my experience (visiting alone with three young children in tow) low stress. It certainly helped that Kaye and her family were so welcoming.
It’s definitely worth your time to give Rocky Hollow a try!
**Attention School Groups:** Kaye is a retired teacher, and has created a Pumpkin Patch STEM lesson to be taught ahead of time with an activity at the Education Barn when you’re there! Contact her at (256) 475-3030 for more information.
**GIVEAWAY ALERT!!!** Tell us what you’re looking forward to most at Rocky Hollow for a chance to win a FREE family pass!!!